Monday, December 5, 2011

Bakul Sia / Sia Basket

Bakul sia or sia basket (auspicious basket) is a traditional Malacca Malay and Nyonya basket. It is normally made of rattans, bamboo or wood and wrapped with thick paper or leather (lacquered), and the basket will be colored with red and black, then painted with gold auspicious motifs to symbolize prosperity and richness.

People in Malacca use this basket for various purposes or events such as wedding or feast to keep fruits, cakes, dodol or traditional Malacca snacks. For the Peranakan wedding, proposals of marriage were made by a gift of a pinangan, with this lacquered basket, to the intended bride's parents brought by a go-between who speaks on behalf of the suitor. Bakul sia is an important elements in Peranakan weddings. Wedding gifts were exchanged and transported in this basket during the twelve-day long wedding, and even before that, the engagement day.


Bakul Sia 1



Bakul Sia 1 (The other side)



Bakul Sia 1



Bakul Sia 2



Bakul Sia 2 (The other side)



Bakul Sia 2



Bakul Sia 3



Bakul Sia 3 (The other side)



Bakul Sia 3



Bakul Sia 4



Bakul Sia 4 (The other side)



Bakul Sia 4



Bakul Sia 5
This is a brand new bakul sia bought from Malacca.



Bakul Sia 5 (The other side)



Bakul Sia 5



Also see the "Teochew Basket".

8 comments:

  1. Hi, my name is Kellyn, from the Ramada Plaza Melaka Hotel. Would like to seek your kind consideration and permission in allowing us to use your picture - bakul sia 3 on our key card. We would like to touch base with you to further discuss.

    Please do not hesitate to contact me at 06-284 8888 or drop me an email at kellyn.on@ramadaplazamelaka.com

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, this is Alice Wong here.

    I bump into your blog about your sharing on your antique collection. It is a very nice article and I like your photos shot very much.

    Recently I found an old bakul sia as per your picture 2. It's 8" diameter and 2 tiers also. Unfortunately there are some minor crack and some of the hand drawing design has been seriously vague. I was thinking doing the reconditioning back on it. What do you think about this idea. Wondering do you know any artist that is good in chinese art around Melaka.

    Hope to here from you again very soon.
    My email : alicewong57@gmail.com

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I have used some of your pictures for my book - Baba and Nyonya Poetry.

    Hope you don't mind.Tq.

    jchee188@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi jchee,
      Thank you so much for your interest and I will allow you to use my photos without any cost. My terms are simple: I'd like to be credited under every photo with 'copyright enticz.blogspot.com' if possible. Else an acknowledgement in the book that specific photos (perhaps with page number) are 'from the collection of and copyright enticz'.
      I'm sure you understand, but to be clear: the copyright remains with me and the permission is for the book, not for any other use. Good luck...

      Delete
  4. Hi,
    im ooi, i would like to use a few of your fantastic photo for a product design, seeking your kind permission.

    Thankyou

    reply to oasis_media_adv@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ooi,
      Thank you for your interest. As mentioned to other readers, you are welcome to use my photos with the conditions stated. Good luck...

      Delete
  5. Hi, thank you for sharing your beautiful antique & photos.
    My family has a Bakul Sia which we've kept for 22 years.

    We wish to sell the Bakul Sia but not sure how much it is worth. Was wondering, since you are an experienced collector, will you be able to advise the value of it?

    TQ in advance!

    My email is skyjoy28@gmail.com

    Do you mind if I send you the photos of the Bakul Sia?

    ReplyDelete