Friday, October 31, 2014

Peranakan Octagonal Silver Tray

Yet another wedding item of Peranakan family from my collection, an octagonal silver tray with the motifs of peacocks standing on the bamboo tree, signifying status and prosperity for which Peranakans are well known for in the past due to their elite standing during the colonial period. The border of the tray is chased with a rabbit and a pair of cranes in the forest.

Bamboo is a symbol of old age and modesty, meanwhile peacock symbolises dignity and beauty. Symbolic rabbit meanings deal primarily with abundance, comfort and vulnerability. Traditionally, rabbits are associated with fertility, sentiment, desire and procreation. As for the cranes (in pairs), it symbolises happiness in love and suggestive of romance, long marriage, devotion, affection, conjugal fidelity, togetherness, ultimate longevity and enduring love.

Size : 27cm x 27cm.


Picture 1.



Picture 2.



Picture 3.



Picture 4.



Picture 5.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I like both your silver trays, especially this octagonal one. I am looking for Peranakan silver items. May I know where did you buy this try from? Would appreciate it if you could share with me the location of the dealer. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there,
      Thank you so much for browsing my blog. I bought this item from Amcorp Mall, Petaling Jaya, an indoor antique market which you can visit during weekends. But, too bad, the seller was an Indian man which do not have any stalls there. You will be lucky if he's there bringing his items to sell to any dealers or collectors who would offer him a good price. Well, to be honest, hunting for antiques are always depending on luck too. I was lucky to be there and grabbed the tray before anyone else could notice it... LoL

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your response. I love your collection, especially the peranakan jewelry. May I know do you sell or only collect?

      Delete
    3. To be honest with you, most of my items are actually for sharing information. When I've collected the items, it creates a bond which I would straightly connect to it and value it differently from sellers (if only you know what I meant). But sometimes, I do sell my so-called "less interesting" items (which is hardly), and also changing items with collectors which has got no money involved. Do you collect antiques too? Any specific collection?

      Delete