Sunday, April 3, 2011

Malay Embroidery Or Tekat

The art of gold thread embroidery has long been practised by Malay women. As it was originally a court art, such embroidery was traditionally associated with royal garments and court paraphernalia. In tekat embroidery, gold and silver threads are embroidered on a dark base fabric, usually velvet, and may be embellished with glass beads or sequins. It is now usually crafted for special purposes, such as to adorn the bridal dais and matrimonial bed, or to decorate food covers, pillow ends, bridal hand-held fans, betel sets, shoes and curtains.

Pictures below are the tekats from my collection.


Tekat 1
Size : 23cm x 10.5cm.



Tekat 1



Tekat 1



Tekat 2
Size : 20cm x 13cm.



Tekat 2



Tekat 2



Tekat 3
Size : 23cm x 10cm.



Tekat 3



Tekat 3



Tekat 4
Size : 23cm x 9cm.



Tekat 4



Tekat 4

3 comments:

  1. Hi Enticz :)
    It's great to see so many collections of yours.
    May I know where can I get a tekat nowadays?

    Morrie.M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Morrie,
    Thank you for browsing my blog. Glad you like it. It depends what type of tekat you are looking for, as different ethnics and races has their own techniques to produce tekat. As for Malay tekat, you can still try your luck to find it at the antique shops around Kuala Lumpur. Good luck... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi enticz,
      I am also interested to find and collect. Can you share with me roughly what price I can get for a pair of tekat as you shown above ? I would like to know if it is within my budget. Thank you.

      Delete